The best weekend of the summer is rapidly approaching, and we’re here to help make it that much of a better experience. Last year we recommended Local Natives, Black Lips, Kids These Days, The Vaccines, and the Naked and Famous to name a few, and they all delivered. So here we go again; the Lolla Must Sees, outside of the headliners that you already have on your schedule. Think of this as your what to do before 8 PM.
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday must sees after the jump!
Friday, August 3rd
Ambassadors @ BMI Stage @ 12:00 – 12:45
- Listen to “Weight Lightness”
- Keyboardist Casey Harris took time off in early 2012 as the band was writing their debut, Litost, when he needed a kidney transplant, which his mother volunteered and provided.
- Watch an acoustic performance of “Body Bag.”
Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs @ Perry’s Stage @ 2:00 – 3:00
- Listen to “Stronger”
- Orlando Higginbottom actually wears a different dinosaur suit for every tour. They’re all handmade, and no, they are not for sale.
- Learn about the debut album Trouble and watch a really cool video
SBTRKT @ Google Play Stage @ 4:45 – 5:30
- Listen to “Surely”
- SBTRKT is an alias used to support the concept of anonymity. He explained that he’d “rather not talk about myself as a person, and let the music speak for itself.” He also wears modern interpretations of native society ceremonial masks for every show.
- You’ve heard SBTRKT before… Mr. Canada Dry himself rapped over “Wildfire.”
Saturday, August 4th
Chancellor Warhol @ BMI Stage @ 1:10 – 1:50
- Listen to “Lofticries”
- He’s opened for Questlove, NERD, Kid Cudi and others. This guy is on the way up, and if you can’t make it to his set Saturday, he’ll be performing at the Hard Rock Hotel’s CK One Color Music Lounge on Sunday.
- Download his mixtape Playlist for Edie here.
GIVERS @ Google Play Stage @ 2:15 – 3:00
- Listen to “Noche Nada”
- No fun fact for these guys, they’re just awesome and I really feel they’ll be the highlight of the festival this year. Big breakout potential.
- Watch the video for “Up Up Up.”
Alabama Shakes @ Bud Light Stage @ 4:15 – 5:15
- Listen to “Hold On”
- Soul and funk and rock, all with a southern touch. Writing songs together since they were in high school, this band has been torching the music scene the last couple of months.
- Check out the band perform “Be Mine” at Bonnaroo this year.
Sunday, August 5th
Mona @ Playstation Stage @ 12:15 – 1:00
- Listen to “Teenager”
- Nick Brown, lead singer and band frontman, talked about why a former guitarist left the band… “I ended up getting in a fight with him and beating the shit out of his face. He just wasn’t right for the band.”
- Watch ”Shooting the Moon” to get a taste of Mona’s live show.
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis @ Google Play Stage @ 2:15 – 3:00
- Listen to “Can’t Hold Us Down”
- Macklemore throws a fan appreciation pizza party every year. Fans have had to sing, paint, draw, and play to get a chance to meet and watch a performance by the duo.
- I covered the group at Soundset 2012 in Minnesota this past May. You can check out pictures here.
The Walkmen @ Sony Stage @ 3:00 – 4:00
- Listen to “Heartbreaker”
- Featured a while back on The OC, Seth, Alex, Summer, Ryan, and Marissa all checked out the band in the Baitshop… as Seth admits to Summer he got the job because of her and kisses her. Yes, The OC was my favorite show for a very long time.
- Watch the old school looking video for “The Rat,” my favorite song by the band, below.
Who are you most excited to see? What’s your schedule like? Let us know!